the first charismatic, anti-charismatic, filippino, pentecostal, catholic, baptist, evangelical, african, student, not-for-families church of nicosia
June 5, 2009 § 1 Comment
Yup. That’s us.
At least that’s what we’ve been called at various times over the past seven or eight years by people outside our church family. Funny thing is that none of those labels are what we’d like to be known for. In fact, some of them aren’t even close to true.
But I suppose I’m also guilty of describing other churches in ways that they’d rather not be known for and in ways that don’t accurately reflect who they are.
But if you became a part of this church family for a while, here’s what I’d hope you’d discover.
- We’re gracious. This is a community of and for messed up people (though God has blessed us with a few spiritually mature and healthy people to point us toward a better way of living).
- We’re diverse. Lot’s of races, cultures and nationalities. Lots of religious backgrounds. Each person’s unique history is a gift to the church.
- We’re not too interested in our reputation. We don’t advertise, we’d prefer to grow by word of mouth.
- We’re more interested in the discipleship that takes place out in the schools, streets, and homes than in the program that takes place in the building where we meet on Sundays.
- That said, with our obvious limitations, we love to gather to worship and hear God’s word.
- We believe that God intervenes in our lives. God solves problems.
- The word of God takes a central role in the way we live, worship, and relate to the world around us. We address problems by turning to God’s word.
- We multiply. Not programs, but people. Students, refugees, domestic workers, expats, and others are equipped and released for ministry in Nicosia. Many are eventually commissioned back to their homes in Africa, Asia, or Europe to better serve their own communities.
- We come from our neighborhood and we’re committed to our neighborhood.
- It takes work to be a part of this church. It ain’t always easy!
We’re a unique group of people that defy most labels, but I couldn’t ask for a better church to be a part of!